Thursday, July 30, 2015

I Love Carmelitas!

This week was good, but very different.  I love the fresh weather in Coban, and I even wore long sleeve shirts a few days this week! It's so beautiful and green and I love seeing the culture cuz there is a lot more Q'eqchi here.   

However I had forgotten how hardhearted the people are here. In Peten you knock on the door and they welcome you with happy arms (usually) and kindly tell you they don't want anything to do with the church, but would love to give us some juice. Buena gente. In Coban they are a little a lot different. You offer them a folleto and they completely ignore you or hide. They are literally just very rude... grosera. (is there a word for that in English?) One lady we contacted just told us straight up she already had a church and that  we would be wasting our time with her. We explained to her that our message only talked about Christ and we knew would benefit her life. She just turned around in mid sentence and left us standing there. We kinda just started laughing as we walked away and she shouted at us that we needed to beware of false prophets. We visited an old investigator that the other sisters had left here and after singing a song she just kinda looked at us and then said, "You know what? I don't like you guys very much."  I literally was dying of laughter. Funny lady. I bought her bread after that for the next visit and I think we are slowly winning her over. Needless to say, I am basically making BFFs on every corner!

But I LOVE Carmelitas. The ward here is amazing and our ward mission leader is SUPER helpful.  He just returned from a mission in Peru about 2 or 3 years ago and he is always helping us and giving us good advice of how we can be better. Hermana Coello and I are learning the area fast and making a lot of plans to get some baptisms here because they haven't seen a baptism in our area in about 8 months. AKA we will be ECHANDO FUEGOOO PRONTOOO! Boomshakalaka I am very excited and motivated.

All in all I am so grateful to be here! I know that God is giving me a wonderful opportunity to develop a lot more Christlike attributes during my time here.  I know that here I will be running when I finish and that's all I want! 

I love the Hymn 'HOw Firm a Foundation' and I have been thinking a lot about these words this week:
1.      “Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand."
I know that God is always with me and that through him my weaknesses can be made strengths. Life is good and I love Preachin' the good word!
Stay kewllll
Alexis


No comments:

Post a Comment